Friday, December 4, 2009

The end of Monk

I was an addict of the show during its first two years or so, until I went away to school and didn't have access to cable for some time, so I kind of dropped it. I've watched it a little bit more in recent weeks as the end has been approaching, and it's pretty much as I remembered it: a charming, entertaining show, generally B/B+ quality on a week-to-week basis. Tony Shalhoub has gotten quite a bit of acclaim for his role on the show, and he's one of my favorites as a character actor, so it has been great to see him achieve such success in a lead role. (Full disclosure: I somewhat randomly met the man a while ago, which only wound up justifying my conviction that he's one of the best actors working today, as his real-life persona is pretty much the complete opposite of his Monk role.)

In any event, I'll definitely be watching the series finale tonight, and I'll recommend it to you as well. Eight seasons is quite an impressive run for a show, in my opinion.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.