Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rock 'n Roll 'n politics

I found this amusing: "I long for the days when rock'n'roll was properly identified (in broad and loose terms) with the political left, before people like George Pataki started saying what a big Stones fan he was. If that guy was a Stones fan, he wasn't listening closely enough to what they were advocating."

I think this trend jumped the shark when Chris Christie talked about what a big Springsteen fan he is. Seriously. I don't recall any Bruce Springsteen songs about closing hospitals and cutting help to poor people--at least, none that treated the people causing that stuff favorably. Perhaps Christie meant Rick Springfield, and not the personification of bleeding-heart liberalism? And I am hardly using that as a pejorative.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.