Wednesday, August 11, 2010

He's the next Alan Keyes

Taegan Goddard:
In an interview with the Daily Caller, former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) says he's "actively cultivating donors, staff and supporters so he'll be in a position to run for president in 2012 as a Republican if he decides to do so by early next year."

Said Santorum: "I'm going through the process of what someone who is seriously considering running would do, in order for when the time comes to decide, I'm in a position that I have a choice."
Or maybe he's the next Sam Brownback, owing to the both of them having weird and vaguely gay last names that create an ironic tension with their upfront homophobia, which lends a comical aspect to their public existence.

In any event, he's not going to win. Like Tim Pawlenty, he has no base. He can't win statewide in Pennsylvania, but he thinks the Alan Keyes route from failed statewide candidate to presidential candidate will work for him where it didn't for Keyes? I don't know what these guys really have to offer, but whatever it is, nobody wants it.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.