Monday, August 16, 2010

Hey, I wonder what the top story is on Google News. What could it be? Oh, wait, it's exactly the thing I thought it was going to be, that I somehow hoped it would not be.



There's been a meme going around that Harry Reid is the progressive conscience who fought the Administration tooth and nail on health care and financial reform. I would hope this ends that rumor. There's the fact that he's wrong on this, that it won't win him any votes, and that he's backstabbing his party's leader that just make this so ugly. Would Mitch McConnell have shanked Bush like this ever? I think we know the answer to that. Now Obama has to respond or look weak. Plus, there's the fact that this keeps the story going that much longer. I'm just so disgusted with this. While Reid has proven a fairly adept majority leader in many respects he's been the opposite of a profile in courage on anything terror related. See also: Gitmo.

I guess I just need to remember that most of the personnel in the Democratic Party are the same people who were manning it from '01-'05, Reid included. Probably need a few more election cycles to pass before the party actually is led by people who have the right principles.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.