Saturday, July 26, 2008

Republican revival?

Reihan Salam's a smart guy, but I don't find his signs of a Republican revival persuasive. It feels like a post that was written this time last week, before Obama's trip and corresponding poll bounce in Gallup (7 points) and Rasmussen (6 points). The New Hampshire Senate race has ebbed and flowed, but Jeanne Shaheen has always been on top and saying that the race is changing based on solely one poll is a bit, shall we say, optimistic. One must always take a Rasmussen poll with a grain of salt when it contravenes conventional wisdom and shows a Republican far closer than any other poll--they kept showing Michael Steele within a few points of Ben Cardin in the 2006 Maryland Senate Race while Steele lost by ten points. Now, it is true that those Q state polls are good news for McCain, but these polls predate Obama's trip bounce and they all contravene prior poll results. Reihan might be right, but this is awfully thin gruel. To be perfectly fair, though, he is identifying "early stirrings" so fine.

As for the rest, I think energy is a big issue, but I don't think that it's necessarily a winner for McCain, as Obama narrowly edges him on this issue. That same data shows that Obama only narrowly leads McCain on the economy, perhaps because of the drilling issue, which indicates only that Obama has more work to do. And while people are more optimistic about the War on Terror and the Iraq War, I don't see this as being so much due to Republican policies as to military professionals--at least, that's how it's perceived as Bush is still roundly hated despite things getting better. He's not getting the credit, and while the Republicans are doing better on these issues than they were a year ago it's not overwhelming.

So, once again, Reihan might be right, but I have some doubts. And I think it'll take until the convention before we can get a clear view of the dynamic for this fall.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.