Thursday, July 10, 2008

Telecom immunity

I highly recommend this thoughtful blog post by Andrew Sullivan (I've been citing him quite a bit recently!) about telecom immunity. I tend to agree with him. Then again, I've never been much given to paranoia. My feeling is that, well, it's not like we don't know when the Bush Administration has abused its powers. They're not too good at keeping stuff like that under wraps. If they go too far overboard and start locking people up for jaywalking they'll be toast. I don't think they will, though.

I don't trust the Bushies, but I do think I understand them, and I trust them to act in accordance with their established motives. I do think they really believe what they're doing is helping the country. I don't really agree, but there's no evidence they just want to start locking people up, or clamping down on opposition leadership, or whatever. I don't speak out much in favor of Bush, but let's be fair: he's not Joseph Stalin. I just don't see the data points to show why I should be terrified about this.

I don't think it's wrong to be upset by the outcome of this whole thing, but I'm not terribly worried. It is Bush Derangement Syndrome of a sort to just be worried about unjustified, nameless fears, but just because that asshole has done lots of bad things doesn't mean that he'll necessarily want to do every bad thing.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.