Friday, August 29, 2008

Poor Andrew Sullivan

He's spent a greater part of the day hopping mad at McCain's selection of Palin. I take it philosophically: she's clearly unqualified. Clearly. Just over a year of being a governor of a small state with a nonexistent portfolio on the issues is unacceptable. It's a pander pick, to be sure. Now, some on the right might say that Palin has more executive experience than any of the other national candidates, and this is true, but I'm not sure time is the only pertinent metric when it comes to experience. Barack Obama has spent the last four years in the Senate and is clearly well-versed in the issues of the day. He's especially versed in foreign policy and his experience keeps getting vindicated. But evidently simply running a tiny state magically prepares you to be president, while passing a number of significant bills and taking leadership on foreign policy issues on loose nukes and Afghanistan doesn't. Good to know.

I think Andrew's reader gets it right:
Looking at these two events, what do we see? Obama is cautious, conservative and highly deliberative in his approach. McCain is a risk-taker, indeed, even a bit rash.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.