Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Paging Morrissey

Please, please, please, let me get what I want:
Former Sen. Rick Santorum affirmed speculation on an RNC conference call that he's considering a run for president in 2012, Ben Smith reports, because, he said, the Obama presidency is "injurious to America."

Santorum is basically the Gavin Newsom of the right. His speech comparing sodomy to bestiality is exactly the sort of statement that drove younger and more tolerant voters away from the GOP in droves, much like Newsom's condescending talk about how people with problems with gay marriage galvanized equality opponents. Santorum can't win his home state of Pennsylvania, he's still addicted to Bush-era slogans and ideology, he's basically a walking punchline, a retread, a has-been, a loser.

In other words, he's the Republican Party's perfect poster boy. And I think the widely-known story about bringing home his dead son from the hospital and introducing him to the kids makes this venture a non-starter, much like Bobby Jindal's exorcism makes him an unlikely standard-bearer. Weird stories like that can kill candidacies. And they're both Catholic--someone like Huckabee is sure to make an issue of this fact if they're competitive, which might or might not have an impact.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.