Friday, July 30, 2010

Someone needs an @stupid.com address

This mixture of tech and politics is freaking hilarious:
Conservative talk radio host Michael Reagan, eldest son of former president Ronald Reagan, is selling @Reagan.com e-mail addresses on his website with an appeal to conservatives to stop giving their money to companies he casts as tied to liberalism.
Writes Reagan: "People who believe in true Reagan Conservative Values are unwittingly supporting the Obama, Pelosi and Reid liberal agenda! What do I mean? Well, every time you use your email from companies like Google, AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, Apple and others, you are helping the liberals. These companies are, and will continue, [sic] to be huge supporters financially and with technology [????????] of those that are hurting our country." [Brackets mine]
Yeah, those Apple email addresses are really popular these days. Seems like everyone's got one. You don't want to help Al Gore out by getting one of those! I'd much rather have an address from that huge, completely independent company Hotmail. By the way, are they privately owned or something, because I'd love to buy some of their stock, but after I clicked on the MSN link in Hotmail to search for stocks I couldn't find them listed anywhere. What gives? Must be some small startup somewhere.

I have no idea if any of these companies actually support Barack Obama's policies. They probably give to both sides. But I'm just saying, if this guy doesn't even know that Microsoft runs Hotmail then it sure doesn't say much for his research abilities. I wouldn't buy water from this guy if I were in the desert.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.