Thursday, April 3, 2008

Gore '08

Kaus brings up a good point on Bloggingheads: why would a Gore pick assuage African-Americans who had one of their own have the nomination snatched away after rightfully winning it? Bob Wright says that giving it to Clinton is what would be galling, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure what to think, and I'm getting sick and tired of hearing a new wave of Al Gore speculation every few months. It just keeps coming back.

Look, I love Al Gore. I do. I think he's a smart guy who has been right on so many things, and America would be much better off had he won in 2000. Hell, I think even most Republicans would probably concede that now. (Okay, not really, but it's hyperbole.) Gore was robbed, and a lot of Democrats are angry about it and see a Gore restoration as karmic justice of a sort. The idea of Gore succeeding Bush, then fixing everything up and becoming popular, is not unappealing to me. But it's time for certain people to just let it go. Gore certainly has. He's got his own thing now, and I think he's done a lot of good. Why some Democrats seem intent on taking people out of roles in which they excel and putting them in roles for which they are unsuited is a mystery to me.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.