Monday, April 21, 2008

A Ron Paul Community

Is this legal? Can you discriminate on who you allow to buy housing based on their political beliefs? Does this run afoul of fair housing laws? Is that even what's going on here? It seems like a lot of hocus pocus to me, but then again that statement epitomizes the entire Ron Paul rLOVEution as far as I'm concerned.

Paul is, at the very least, a consistent federalist. But my problem with libertarians is that they presume a false dichotomy between freedom and law. Fundamentally, they hold that more laws = less freedom, definitionally. But this is obviously not true if you shift the perspective slightly: sure, having no law against murder means that you have the freedom to commit murder (though I'm not insinuating that Paulites do such things), but I'd argue that having a law on the books against murder creates more freedom, since you have the freedom not to worry about being murdered by someone without consequences. It scales upward, too: the existence of the welfare state is deemed a terrible blight on the ingenuity and will of the American worker, but my opinion is that making sure that peoples' basic needs are met can open new opportunities
(thus creating more freedom) for what they can do. Public education is, of course, one example of this. Sure, the execution gets screwed up at times, but the country the Paulites want--i.e. a federal government that polices the borders and little else--would be a country with vastly more inequality and far less prosperity than the one we're living in now. Government does education far more cheaply than the private sector, despite all those (largely illusory) administrators and unions skimming from the trough.

This thinking, in any event, is the cornerstone of American liberalism. The welfare state has failed to resolve things like the enormous burden of poverty in America, and I readily admit that these problems are more complicated than just passing a single bill, but liberalism can work. There are too many examples of it working to just discard the philosophy right off the bat. Just check out Europe, which is in pretty good economic shape these days. Better than us, arguably.

Update: Maybe this was all about a Second Life community. I think that if I were to go onto Second Life, I probably would establish a Fair Housing Commission to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Somebody has to make sure the rights of furries with 20-foot genetalia sticking out of their foreheads are being protected.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.