Friday, February 6, 2009

Oppose the stimulus, you have nothing to lose but your chains!

This is amusing...someone evidently doesn't know the difference between macroeconomics and microeconomics. The Next Right is one of the "hot" conservative websites, and occasionally they try to challenge orthodoxies of the right, but not so much here. As I see it, the case for stimulus is pretty simple: there are two basic approaches to manipulating the economy: monetary policy and fiscal policy. Obviously, monetary policy is the more popular policy because it doesn't involve SPENDING!!!1!!11! but we can't do any more there monetary policy, so Ben Bernanke thinks we need to do some fiscal stimulus.

I do have to give Jason Sterlace points for trying to frame the stimulus as a question of government "overriding" individuals. But that's silly--government isn't ordering folks to spend more right now. Obviously, we'll have to recoup the stimulus money much later, and hopefully that will be easier with a booming economy. Then again, it's not as though Republicans generally gave a damn about forcing people in the future to pay for Bush's wars, Bush's tax cuts, etc.

We need better conservative opposition to the stimulus. I support it, but I wish that Republicans had better constructive criticism than just offering metaphors about how big the bill is or how it hurts your freedoms (which it really doesn't).

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.