Monday, February 16, 2009

Roland Burris

What an idiot. I can see why Blago appointed him: the two have about the same level of brainpower working upstairs. People are going to wonder if Burris has anything to hide, which is reasonable as people usually lie if they have something to hide. I wonder if this might lead to expulsion only because then Burris would be able to chisel another historic accomplishment to the family masoleum--first Senator in however many years to be expelled.

What I find interesting is that this guy has absolutely nobody looking out for him. His patron is gone in disgrace. The Democratic leadership in the Senate doesn't care for the guy. He has little of a base in Illinois politics outside of the Black community, as is evidenced by his umpteen failed runs for higher office. I doubt Barack Obama is going to intervene to save his hyde, and the racebaiters like Bobby Rush have had their fun and now they're done. If it begins to look as though he can't win reelection he's going to find everyone arrayed against him. I think his chances of winning reelection are pretty darn small, but like his appointer he seems detached enough from reality to try again.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.