Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ushering in a new era of Democratic hegemony...

Public support for the stimulus bill is slipping. This coming on the heels of Reid not having the votes in the Senate to pass the damn bill. Honestly, I think that Obama and his team are getting a good education, and learning that old adage about leading a horse to water applies to the Republicans. He shouldn't just cut them out of the process, but he cannot put himself in a position where the GOP has this level of power. He won, so he gets to set the agenda, and I suspect that the days of Obama as omnipresent media advocate for progressivism have just begun. Now the Republicans feel empowered, so Obama & Co. have to put together a line of solid victories to disempower them. Stimulus first.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.