Thursday, July 23, 2009

The birthers' lament

Chris Matthews can be entertaining:

I guess the only question I have is whether Campbell actually believes his spin. If he does, then he's just an idiot. I suspect he's doing this to gain favor with the crazies.

But if the argument from these birther bill supporters is that "it will put this to rest," I've got some prime investment opportunities for them with my pal Bernie in New York. Look, conspiracy theorists aren't rational people. They already ignore the actual evidence--that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii--in favor of some sort of prenatal conspiracy theory (cause in 1962 it was so obvious that a Black guy from Hawaii was going to be president, I suppose). This isn't reasonable. Appealing to their reason won't work, because they have already abandoned it. Put it another way, if Obama were to direct the Governor of Hawaii to make the certificate available to anyone who wants it, the wingnut response would likely be: "That's a very impressive forgery. This doesn't change anything. If anything, it proves that this conspiracy is bipartisan. Governor Lingle is in on it!"

I highly doubt that many of these birther bill congressmen are acting in good faith, but if they are, then they're just stupid. The proper way to deal with crazy conspiracy theorists is to expel them from your party. Say that the Republicans don't believe this, anyone who expresses this opinion has no future in Republican politics, etc. That probably wouldn't shut it down, but it might keep the cancer from spreading--evidently Sean Hannity is now a birther, as is Rush Limbaugh. No good will come of this.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.