Monday, October 19, 2009

Sorry, son

An hilarious news story:
The parents of Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) pitched in to help Majority Leader Harry Reid, the state's senior senator, in his 2010 re-election battle, reports CQ Politics.

"Mike and Sharon Ensign, who made waves in July after admitting to giving $96,000 to Ensign's mistress and her family, each gave the maximum $4,800 in contributions to Reid's campaign committee in the September, the senator disclosed in his third quarter fundraising report."
I don't know Ensign's relationship with his parents, but usually, if Mom and Dad are jumping ship it's not a good sign for the incumbent. Reminds me of Giuliani's daughter back in 2008. Looks like the title of The Most Famous Native of My Hometown is going to revert back to Molly Ringwald soon, unless Jonathan Taylor Thomas of Home Improvement fame still qualifies.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.