Thursday, May 27, 2010

A center-right nation?

A new study seems to say otherwise: that being more conservative tends to lose you Senate elections, while being more liberal doesn't.

Whenever this sort of stuff comes up, I think of what John Kennedy said on the subject (from Teddy's memoir): that the American people are conservative but are for progress, and that if you talk like a conservative and vote like a liberal, you're going to do fine. Now, a lot of things have changed since then, but this study seems to give it some added creedence.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.