Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Retiring Democrats

There goes another one.

I have to admit that I this annoying. It would be one thing if these guys were just old and said enough was enough, but more often--particularly with Dorgan, John Tanner, Bart Gordon, and now Dave Obey, you just get a sense that these dudes don't want to actually fight for their seats. They never really had to in the past, of course. But I just find it a little appalling that these guys seem to have no stomach for political combat. When the going gets tough, they get going. In the short term, they're hurting the Democratic Party. In the long term, though, I have to believe that the party will be better off without all this deadweight.

The Republicans have had more retirements this year, of course, but they've done theirs the right way by pushing tired representatives to retire in what will probably be a Republican year, rather than in say 2012, when Barack Obama will be running for a second term.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.