Monday, June 9, 2008

Here's a little story

Once upon a time, Person A held a seat in the House of Representatives. Person A happened to be a Republican in a pretty Democratic district, but Person A was quite popular and managed to appeal to voters based largely on personality. Person A was just likable.

Then, in 2006, Person A lost her seat to Person B in the midterm wave. Person A, admirably, dusted herself off and decided to make a run for governor. The run failed--she didn't even win the nomination away from a corrupt indicted member of her own party. That person eventually lost in a landslide.

So, now, Person A decides she'd like to be back in the House. Only problem is that Person B--the one who beat her, you might recall, is now quite popular in her district, and her likability seems insufficient to overcome the landslide margin he's headed toward. I was under the impression that two straight big losses = the end of a political career. And it appears that her old constituents don't much appreciate being sloppy seconds.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.