Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm not exactly a fan of Jon Corzine, but I think he ought to be safe for a second term if this is the best Republicans can do:
CNN's Lou Dobbs is considering running for governor of New Jersey, according to the Newark Star Ledger.
Now, immigration is an issue that strikes fear into the hearts of Democrats, despite the fact that I'm unaware of a single election turning on it. There's a small crowd of crazy right-wingers who feverishly talk about illegal immigration warping American culture and ramping up crime, in what is often little more than racism of a more socially acceptable form. Dobbs is one such. He and his ilk typify what's always been wrong about America instead of what's always been right--the hysteria, the fear of outsiders (all the way back to the Know-Nothings), the combination of racism with populism, and so on. America isn't like that--we've always welcomed hard-working outsiders with big dreams. The know-nothing equivalents today used to just have to sputter in the twilight, but now, thanks to "ultraliberal'' CNN, now one of them has achieved enough notoriety (and enough ignorant followers who actually believe that immigration hurts the economy) to perhaps seize a statehouse. At the very least he'll be a credible candidate who'll be able to spread his poison more expansively.

Thanks, CNN, for this and also for Glenn Beck. You suck.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.