Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Is this really going to satisfy people?

Ambinder:
Her aides still don't expect Sen. Clinton to formally concede and endorse Sen. Barack Obama tonight, but if, as seems likely, Obama ends up with more than 2118 delegates by the time she speaks, Sen. Clinton is certain to publicly acknowledge that Obama has crossed the threshold. That means, in essence, that the Democratic primary campaign is over.
Umm...so she's doing a non-withdrawal withdrawal? This is a curious way to promote party unity, and I don't think it's going to convince a lot of Clinton critics (e.g. myself) that she's not keeping her options open to try to steal the nomination away at some point in the future.

It seems to me that the only way to promote party unity is for Hillary Clinton to admit that Obama beat her fair and square, that he's a strong candidate who agrees with her on policy, and that she'll work hard to mend fences to help Obama defeat John McCain. I'll be curious to see what she says tonight, but this inability to admit actual defeat is true to form, at least.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.