Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Douthat to the Times

Here's some unambiguously good news: Ross Douthat is moving over to the New York Times to become Bill Kristol's successor as a columnist. I always enjoy reading his writing (even though he ought to stay out of recruiting GOP rising stars: as I recall, he touted both Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindal before they flamed out), and he usually brings interesting insights to the table.

It occurs to me that, with David Brooks and Ross Douthat, the very, super, ultra-liberal New York Times is probably going to be the place to read new conservative opinions going forward. Imagine that.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.