Thursday, March 26, 2009

"The speech rather quickly dovetailed into an attack on earmarks"

Yeah, pretty much any speech by John McCain will these days. Was there ever a time when the man was a serious politician and statesman, or am I just mentally fabricating it?

There's also this gem: "[McCain] ruled out any attempt to to use the budget reconciliation process to pass health care, education, or environmental reform. Doing that would debase “the normal 60 vote requirement that makes the Senate the unique environment that it is.”

This is a major problem with Congress these days: its members are not people who are interested in changing American life or doing what's best for America, but rather in maintaining and preserving its power. In general it's an attitude you see in every sector of American life these days. It's the sickening combination of Boomer self-regard and Randian hyperindividualism (which sadly became a part of movement conservatism) that has changed American culture from "we're all in this together" to "I've got mine, you get yours". I have some hope that the culture will change once the Boomers start dying off, and hopefully this is somewhere Obama can have an impact in the long term.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.