Thursday, March 19, 2009

Whither global warming denialism?

I suspect that it has to do with the economy, and folks thinking that fixing global warming will irrepairably harm the economy. So people decide the "evidence" against global warming--none of it scientific--might be more compelling than you originally thought. It is interesting that almost all the uptick is among people over 30, and especially among people 65 and over. Why should the boomers start to care about anyone other than themselves now?

To me, it comes down to this: do you trust virtually every scientist studying the problem of climate change, or a bunch of GOP politicians in hock to the oil companies? The poll is here.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.