Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Get over it, Mike!

I really don't see what purpose this sort of rhetoric this serves:
I am deeply disappointed in the decision made by the state Supreme Court, and I share the frustration of Minnesota's voters. At the core of our democracy lies two concrete principles: No valid vote should go uncounted and all votes should be treated equally.

Michael Steele has never been mistaken for a particularly bright politician, but there really isn't any political point to be scored here. It's pointless. Minnesotans aren't going to be outraged that the Franken-Coleman Senate race is over--in fact, they've been wanting it to end for months, and they've generally sided with Franken on the particulars. Jon Cornyn's statement seemed like a better deployment of red meat, even though the notion that the Democrats command the sort of party discipline necessary to start ramming through single payer now that they have 60 votes is not exactly true. Still, it did what it needed to do. One saw the point with Cornyn's blather.

What's really annoying about this is the lack of self-awareness here. Does Steele even remember 2000? Does he remember the GOP's continued use of disenfranchisement tactics that continued well into the Bush 43 years, and that culminated into Rove protege and "vote cager" Tim Griffin being rewarded with a U.S. Attorney slot? It's not like I disagree with his sentiment in general, but to say that there hasn't been due process on this sucker is just baffling, and suggests even more ignorance about the political scene from Steele than we had been led to believe. If he were smarter, his spin would be better. Just sayin'.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.