Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Speaking of Minnesota Republicans...

He's not good enough, he's not smart enough, and doggone it, people just don't like him. And he won't go away:
"The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that an interesting name has popped up among the people being speculated about as Republican candidates for governor of Minnesota, now that incumbent Republican Tim Pawlenty isn't running again: Former U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman -- the man who is still litigating his defeat against Al Franken in the photo-finish 2008 Senate race."
The idea of Coleman as governor is delusional. If he wanted it, he should have thought of this earlier before destroying his popularity and reputation in the state. Not that he had much to begin with: he lost to Jesse Ventura for governor in 1998, barely beat Fritz Mondale for Senate six years ago, and has now lost to a guy famous for portraying a formerly overweight self-help host. It's rather clear that Minnesotans don't like the guy. Couple this with the scorched earth campaign he's currently waging and the corruption allegations, and it's just puzzling.

Don't Minnesota Republicans have anyone else? Don't they have some congresspeople (aside from Bachmann)?

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.