Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Why the drama?

Yglesias laments the nature of judicial battles:
Consistent differences have emerged between the kinds of justices conservatives want and the kinds of justices liberals want, but it’s considered out of bounds for politicians to just say “The President has a different ideology from me, he’s appointing a judge whose decisions I anticipate disliking, and that’s one of the reasons I voted for the other guy.” Instead there are these incentives to concoct wild personality defects in the other side’s choices, or accuse them of deliberately subverting the law (”activism”), rather than of simply disagreeing about important issues.

The other aspect to consider is the extent to which the Republican Party is dependent on pro-life activists. It shouldn't be too controversial to note that a substantial portion of the GOP's activist base is primarily abortion-oriented, and these folks believe it so deeply that they will work incredibly hard for free on campaigns. They believe that getting more Republicans elected will mean the end of abortion, but Republican leaders know damn well that doing away with Roe would mean the end of the GOP for at least a generation. So, putting up a public fight over the occasional judicial appointment goes a long way toward maintaining the base's alleigance.

In reality, of course, around 70% of Americans support Roe and that number would necessarily have to include a substantial amount of Republicans, as there are plenty of Democrats and independents who are pro-life. Indeed, I suspect that the base of the GOP is somewhat less hostile to abortion than what one might think from watching Fox News, and that it's country-club types who have the most resistance to Roe, counterintuitively (or maybe not, as Fox News is made up exclusively of country-club types). But in this, as in most issues these days, the GOP is mostly interested in preaching to the choir.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.