Friday, June 19, 2009

Yet more neoconnery

Rep. Doug Lamborn states the assumptions of neoconnery far more compactly and fully than I've ever heard them stated before:

"Sovereignty is vital for America because we are an exceptional nation," wrote Lamborn, "one uniquely blessed with a vibrant Judeo-Christian heritage, as demonstrated both through its founding documents and by the witness of history. For any nation, and I believe especially for America, to give up any degree of control of its destiny to transnational bodies is irresponsible and wrong."

What I love the most about this, once one gets past the saccharine, is how silly it is. Really, America is solely in control of its own destiny? We are, really? What if a meteor hits us? I guess America has already thought through that possibility. It used to be that only Marxists believed this "control of history" pablum--now the right believes it too. At some point we're going to have to come to terms with the fact that we're not a special country, that the extent to which we are better than other countries is due to the decisions we make and have made instead of some sort of special status from God (who, in my religion, doesn't take sides in stuff like this), and that this sort of talk--which has underlied the American experience since the Pilgrim days, as Reinhold Niebuhr sadly observed--is just poisonous pride, that most deadly of all the sins. America, at some point, will have to change. But it's going to be over these morons' dead bodies.

I sometimes wonder if Al Gore had taken office in 2001 and had launched a similarly disastrous set of foreign interventions after 9/11, would the GOP congressional caucus look more like Ron Paul on foreign policy? If we had half as many pacifists in the government as warmongers, I'd feel a whole lot better.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.