Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I followed a link from Andrew Sullivan's blog to his review of Dinesh D'Souza's prior book, and it's definitely good Sullivan stuff. I found this quote from D'Souza hilarious:
"If the left can convert national security -- usually a source of political strength for the right -- into a liability, then it has vastly improved its chances for winning future elections....The entire conservative agenda, from tax cuts to school choice to restricting abortion, would be stalled."
I realize that D'Souza probably doesn't mean to imply that those three items are the entirety of the conservative agenda--using the from...to construction for items that don't form a logical sequence is poor, confusing writing and one of my pet peeves--but it really kinda is the entirety of their thing, isn't it?

Update: This bit is good as well:
Islam and Christianity together: that is D'Souza's dream. He does not seem especially interested in God. He writes nothing about his own faith, whatever it is. His interest is not in the metaphysics or the mysteries of religion, but in the uses of religion for social control. (Somewhere Machiavelli is smiling.) In the goal of maintaining patriarchy, banning divorce, outlawing homosexuality, and policing blasphemy, any orthodoxy will do. D'Souza's religion, in a sense, is social conservatism. He is not going to let a minor matter such as the meanings of God get in the way of his religion.
I don't think that you can find any individuals on the planet more cynical than neoconservatives. Not even ad executives or mobsters could touch them.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.