Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The politics of opposing Bush's tax cuts

Chait makes the case here. I agree with what he says, but there is a level of genius here that one doesn't often get from Democrats. Picking this fight with Republicans gives Democrats an opportunity to tie Republicans to Bush directly and rhetorically (at a time when voters inexplicably disbelieve the Republicans will not pursue the same policies as Bush). "Bush tax cuts" is a rhetorically excellent way of framing the issue, which is not exactly something Democrats usually excel at. Not to mention that it's actually good policy to let the cuts for the rich expire, since the rich are doing just fine in our great recession.

I'm beginning to see the outlines of a strategy here: use the tax debate to tie Republicans to Bush, and get the GOP to oppose their own ideas on job creation to show that they don't want to do anything about the recession. And now Democrats are the underdogs, which means holding the House--even by only a few seats--will be seen as a huge achievement. This fight isn't over yet.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.