Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Breaking News: Nader Still A Douchebag

We already knew this, but doesn't this part sound like sour grapes:

He also called the money raised by Obama to support his campaign, "disgusting."

John McCain sounded similar notes earlier. This is just stupid. The problem with money in politics isn't that there's too much money in politics, but rather that wealthy individuals and special interests and corporations could buy lots of influence. What Nader and McCain share is a lack of understanding of what the problem with campaign finance should do.

Of course, the idea of writing laws to keep special interest money out of politics seems analogous to me to trying to develop the world's best sieve to keep water from dripping through. It seems like better methods are out there, such as either full public financing, encouraging a more even distribution of wealth (i.e. "spreading the wealth around") so as to minimize such vast inequities, or the Obama model of a large amount of small donors. Liberals are often identified with a "have the government do everything" philosophy, but the campaign finance reform problem might well be solvable sans government help, as politicians on both sides of the spectrum will probably try to emulate Obama's successes, rather than through sweeping bipartisan bills.

Maybe that's why McCain hates Obama so much!

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.