Thursday, November 6, 2008

Obama the compromiser?

A lot of people are worried about the prospects for progressive change under an Obama Administration featuring Larry Summers and Rahm Emanuel. These two dudes are more frequently associated with the centrist/New Dem wing of the Democratic Party, but both have been saying things significantly more progressive as of late.

Ultimately, the relevant question is: is Obama a compromiser? Not in a horse-trading, half-step is better than none way, but rather: is he going to compromise his ideals for political power? I can't imagine anyone who lived through the primaries saying that. I understand the nervousness on the part of liberals on reliving the Clinton years. Obama ain't Clinton. He's smarter, tougher, a better communicator and more ideologically coherent. And he picks excellent staff--this is how he won in the first place.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.