Wednesday, November 5, 2008

From the casefiles of WTF?!?!?! was John McCain thinking?

So Sarah Palin didn't know that Africa was a continent and not a country. She couldn't name a single periodical that she read. She couldn't name a single SCOTUS case, other than Roe v. Wade. At this point, it's not inconceivable that she wouldn't be able to answer a question about the identity of the denizen of Grant's tomb. "You know, back in the great state of Alaska I worked with both parties to get things done because I'm a Myav-rick just like John McCain a great hero who I am just so gosh-darn proud to serve as vice president if I get the ability to--if the people give us the opportunity to make improvements on solar power and wind and get trade and education and blah blah blah."

At this point, the only way to rid ourselves of this menace for good is to turn her into a punchline preemptively so that she can't take her religious fanaticism/ignorance/diva-ness into any real power. As I recall, this plan worked pretty well in the film The Dead Zone, in which Christopher Walken was able to see into the future of a sleazy politician (played by Martin Sheen) to discover that he would end the world. I don't think that Palin would do that, per se, but I think she'd be so inept for the job that she'd make George W. Bush look like FDR.

In a funny way, John McCain's greatest service to his country might well have been his Palin pick, cynical and dishonest though it was. By picking Palin before she had years to become a relentlessly scripted talking point machine to hide her gaping vacuousness (a la Bush), McCain plucked her before she had that polish, when it was blindingly apparent that she had absolutely nothing going on upstairs. This is the underlying perception of her now: as a poseur who is grossly unworthy of the job for which she was applying. Her future in national politics is over just as surely as if she had held up a baby as a human shield to stop sniper fire.

McCain wound up exposing Sarah Palin for what she was. It might well turn out to be the only good thing to come out of his campaign.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.