Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Senator Clinton forever

The Senate seems like a natural fit for Bill Clinton--he'd totally get immersed in the cloakroom culture of the World's Most Exclusive Club, and I would imagine he'd have a fair amount of experience to contribute to the national conversation. All things being equal Obama ought to have made Clinton U. N. Ambassador, as Clinton is generally beloved by the rest of the world, has lots of relationships with foreign dignitaries, and he wouldn't have to move. Clinton would have moved to Defense or HHS in my parallel universe, en route to a SCOTUS berth.

Still, this all seems like a good way of things shaking out, if Paterson made such an appointment. I'm not sure that Bill would want it, though. My sense is that he sees himself above mere politics these days.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.