Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Caprica is on the way

I'm skeptical that it will be any good. This review seems to be making the rounds, and it seems like BSG minus the action, which is also known as the latter seasons of BSG. This didn't exactly work that well, because the showrunners became enamored of the intellectual component of the show while the show always made more sense on a visceral and emotional level, with tight storytelling that developed its themes but kept them in the background. Unfortunately, it looks as though we're going to get another show about "ideas" that aren't all that new that overpower good characters and good drama. It seems that humans learn all the wrong lessons from history.

The review asks the question of whether or not BSG fans will tune in. They will, and they'll keep tuning in, the same way they tuned in during some pretty dire seasons of BSG. But are they enough to keep the show going? I found this chart which tracks the show's viewership over its entire run:

Basically, the longer the show was on, the lower the ratings were (this goes through the beginning of Season 4). The show wore poorly as it went on, though it stayed relatively stable during individual seasons. Near the end it looks like the show more or less plateaued around 1.2 million viewers, who are the diehards that will watch Caprica. I wouldn't even be surprised if a few disaffected BSG fans checked out the new series, as well as a few newbies that heard about BSG and want to see what all the fuss was about. My guess is that these folks won't stick around long if Caprica repeats BSG's mistakes, which fundamentally boiled down to poor storytelling and an unrelenting grim tone that--surprise, surprise--people got tired of at a fairly linear rate. If Caprica doesn't develop some coherent and compelling story arcs off the bat, as well as to do a better job of showing some real humanitas instead of Ron Moore's Opera of Gloom, then it will be gone soon. Time will tell.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.