Thursday, April 16, 2009

Riddle me this

Of all the tea parties in all the land, why did John Boehner go to the one in Bakersfield? I guess the area is conservative--once you move in past the Bay, California starts to resemble Idaho more than Massachusetts--but presumably there was something in Ohio to go to? Or in Hawaii, perhaps? It certainly isn't because of B-field's natural beauty (I used to live in the general area, so I would know). I guess he was hanging out with my former Congressman, Kevin McCarthy, who is supposed to be a GOP rising star, so maybe he wanted to give Kev some visibility or something. I don't know, it's just weird.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.