Friday, April 3, 2009

Sarah Palin wants a do over...

The story is here. What I find so interesting about Palin is how unbelievably stupid she is. I'm not just saying that as an insult, like I would about Bill Kristol. I mean, Kristol's dumb, but he's not, you know? He's savvy and educated, but just wrong about almost everything. But Kristol seems to have some understanding of politics, even if policy eludes him. Palin, on the other hand, doesn't know anything about anything. You don't just get to redo an election because you don't like the result. The first amendment doesn't mean that the press doesn't get to criticize you. You don't get to decry earmarks when your state gets more per capita than any other. That she genuinely doesn't seem to understand these things--that she doesn't get how the world works--is pretty shocking, even for a hardened, cynical political observer such as myself.

At least I can rest assured in the knowledge that a Palin nomination in 2012 would, at this point, lead to at least a 20 point Obama victory and probably a nervous collapse of the conservative movement--which would ultimately be better for everyone, including conservatives, and is long overdue as an act of creative destruction.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.