Thursday, April 23, 2009

Obama gets a nod from Larison

While the insane right has been having conniptions about Obama's Latin America trip, the sane right (in this case, Daniel Larison) offers praise:
Instead of the almost-obsessive need to celebrate American achievements, Obama’s handling of foreign relations has shown a steady, humble confidence in the United States...Obama has acted as a leader who feels no need to overcompensate for any perceived weakness and no need to apologize for giving priority to rebuilding damaged international relations with both allies and rivals. Indeed, it seems that the problem Obama’s critics have with him is not that he has been admitting American mistakes, but that he has failed to cringe and apologize to them for pursuing the course of action he thinks best for the United States.
Look, I'm an Obama guy, but I don't think he's perfect and I think he's made some mistakes. Not having thought through the torture endgame--indeed, not even seeming to realize the gravity of the situation--strikes me as a problem. But I do think he has extraordinary potential--I think he's probably the greatest natural politician this country has produced in a long time, and these times seem to provide the opportunity to implement a broad and deep vision for change in America. If he doesn't back down and doesn't get tripped up in all the bullshit (his staff shouldn't be watching cable news, for starters), I do believe he has the capability to be a great statesman, and one of the greatest presidents we've ever had. Of course, having a hated and batshit opposition probably won't hurt either.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.