Monday, April 6, 2009

Torture memo war

This kind of stuff really infuriates me. I find it incredibly hypocritical for the right to say, on the one hand, we need to torture anyone we want for any reason at all if the president wants, and if you disagree then you're with the terrorists, and then to turn around and say that we're going to sabotage your nominees if you release memos that make us look bad. Dude, you supported this shit. Time to pay the piper.

The worst thing is that this is an abuse of power, and a petty one, and one that nobody will really care about. Two obscure legal nominees at this time--it's not going to be noticed, except for close observers that probably already have their minds made up. If the Republicans have a good reason to oppose Dawn Johnsen, I'm all ears. But "because we can, and we can leverage this toward keeping things classified that might make us look bad" isn't just. And if there's no Senate Republicans of any stripe that can't see this for what it is--and can't face what they did during the Bush years (and they're all guilty, all of them)--then the GOP truly is finished as anything other than a decaying vehicle for white resentment.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.