Monday, April 6, 2009

The return of the king?

I've commented before on the fall of David Paterson, which continues unabated and makes me wonder whether Eliot Spitzer's press blitz isn't a sign that he desires to be the once and future governor. Why I think Paterson has failed is because, well, for one he's a weak and indecisive leader. But there's also the little fact that he's a behind-the-scenes operator and always has been. He was a state legislature leadership guy, not someone who ran for statewide office. I do feel that that's the reason he's been out of his depth, and had Spitzer stayed on and Paterson wound up as the Junior Senator from New York (as was initially rumored) everyone would be much better off.

I do believe that Kirsten Gillibrand will hang on, though. She's certainly not going to be beaten by George Pataki, and she is a talented politician from what I read. I'm not necessarily happy about this because, given her voting record, she's either very conservative or a liar, and I find it very hard to believe that Paterson couldn't do better than her. Actually, I suspect that Gillibrand's moderation and profile would have made her a compelling candidate for Governor of New York at some point in the future. It might still.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.