Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dems and the Law

Good article from TNR about Supreme Court justice issues in a prospective Democratic administration.
The article basically makes the point that the current Democratic presence in the judicial system has atrophied under Bush, thus making it difficult to find credible Democrats for the high court. It is a problem, to be sure, but Obama seems to have solid organizational skills and I would imagine that he would be able to improve this situation quite a bit.

I'm not quite so sure that Hillary Clinton would be able to walk her way onto the Supremes. I wouldn't really have an issue with it, but there's still a strong portion of the GOP that considers her a radical feminist and that doesn't want the Clintons to hold any additional power at all. It would be a huge deal, in a way that Sonia Sotormanor would not be as big a deal. And the article, I think, overestimates the possibility of "John Edwards Democrats" making it tougher for a president of their party--after all, John Edwards didn't exactly get many votes, did he?

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.