Thursday, February 28, 2008

McCain and experience

Andrew is right about this, but he seems to misunderstand the fundamental temperament of the Republican party. For one thing, most Republicans don't yet think that their party is wrong on the issues. For another, the Republican response, over and over again, has been to say that their policies are failing because they have not been applied enough. Tax cuts didn't revive the economy? Well, we need more of 'em. War on drugs not fixing inner city problems? Well, we need to redouble our efforts there. And so on. They don't believe they can possibly be wrong, so failure of their policy is merely the result of an insufficient devotion to the ideology. Hence the only acceptable line of criticism of Bush by Republicans being that he's insufficiently conservative. So, it makes sense that the GOP would look at Hillary Clinton's campaign for president and decide that it wasn't that she didn't co-opt her opponent's message that did her in, but rather an insufficient devotion to her own message. The only real unforgivable Republican failure at this point would seem to be a failure of will.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.