Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fool me twice...won't get fooled again

Chuck Grassley now wants to work together on health care reform. This coming after a few weeks of trashing everything in health care reform. I second Steve's reaction: "You've got to be kidding me."

My operative theory at this point is no longer that the senator suffers from mental illness, but rather that Grassley is undergoing the Jack/Tyler Durden condition of having multiple consciousnesses operate at different times, as seen in Fight Club. Sometimes, he's like Ed Norton, nice and conciliatory. And other times, he's like Brad Pitt, brutal and acerbic. You never know what you're going to get with old Chuck, but I think at this point Democrats should probably just not bother with the unpredictability.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.