Friday, August 28, 2009

What a difference two years makes

Updated to eliminate some minor incomprehensibility.

Mike Huckabee, August 2007:
"[Republicans] talk as if, in this election cycle, Republican candidates aren't going to be held to a standard of personal accountability and responsibility for their personal lives. If that's true, there are going to be a lot of Republicans who will owe Bill Clinton a great big public apology," Huckabee said. "We can't have a set of rules that we apply to Democrats that we don't apply to ourselves.
Mike Huckabee, August 2009:
"Senator Ted Kennedy’s death had barely hit the news before we start hearing calls that Congress must hurry and pass the health care reform bill, and do it in his memory. That not only defies good taste–it defies logic. [...] It was President Obama himself who suggested that seniors who don’t have as long to live might want to just consider taking a pain pill instead of getting an expensive operation to cure them."
And the pastor bears false witness to boot. Aside from John McCain's implosion since 2004, I can't think of too many more depressing stories in politics over the past few years than the fall of Mike Huckabee. Damn if the guy didn't use to make sense.

I'd like to send a little message to the conservative establishment right now:
Hi guys. It's me, Lev. Look, we just don't see eye to eye on most things. I doubt there's too much respect going in either direction. But I have to give it to you: you guys were right to do everything you could to oppose Mike Huckabee getting your nomination in 2008. At the time, I was naturally excited at the prospect of a Republican Party that actually gave a shit about the environment, poverty, sane immigration, etc. Huckabee appeared to do these things, and I personally relished the notion that Huckabee might be able to radically redefine the center of American politics. I can now see how wrong that wishful thinking was.

I doubt we'll see eye to eye on too much in the near future. Frankly, I think your policies, worldview, arrogance and relentless and nauseating identity politics account for most of what's wrong with American politics. But you won this one. So, please don't compound your other mistakes by picking the newly-wingnutty Huckabee as your candidate next time. I know it seems tempting, but your instincts were right the first time. The man's a snake. And he'll eat you alive if you let him.

Regards,
Lev

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.