Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Which group sounds more like the Nazis?

The ones who want to have a public debate, or the ones who want to shout it down:
On Tuesday, Rep. Russ Carnahan (D-Mo.) held a press conference on the “cash for clunkers” program and was met by “dozens” of conservative protesters trying to drown him out. The protest was organized by the St. Louis Tea Party, whose Bill Hennessy told protesters the location, the time, and what to bring (”Sign ideas: Cash for Clunkers destroys old cars; ObamaCare destroys old people”).

Aside from the fact that I really don't think that this sort of stuff should be going on in a democracy, I think that this will wind up being a huge miscalculation on the right's part. By letting outside extremist groups handle these protests, they will get out of hand. The GOP has just given up control of their message to ruffians. They don't get that doing that is a boon to the other side. When caught between angry mobs and a more reasonable president, which side will the American people come down on? Just ask the McGovernites if you want an historical perspective on this.

Yes, Christmas has come early for the Democrats this year. Obama may have some deficiencies as a tactician, but one thing he does know how to do is to present himself as the reasonable alternative to wacko nutcases. And it's in motion now.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.