Friday, August 28, 2009

I think this might be a big story in next year's elections:
A new Alabama Education Association survey shows Rep. Artur Davis (D-AL) leading the field of Republican candidates for governor by between 6 and 12 points in general election match-ups.

Former Judge Roy Moore (R) is the closest, down six, while State Treasurer Kay Ivey (R) is the furthest behind, down twelve.
Roy Moore, of course, is famous as being the "Ten Commandments Judge" that defied a court order to take them down. And also losing a Republican primary for governor three years ago. And being a total nutcase. (Do I really need to support that assertion?) And Artur Davis is, of course, a black Democrat. It would be kind of amazing if he won.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.