Friday, May 30, 2008

Clinton/Obama contrast

While I still identify myself as a feminist, I have been disappointed with institutional feminism during this election cycle. Clearly, there's still much sexism in American culture. Clearly, there's more educating to do about this fact. But I do not think that the feminist movement has done a good job calling attention to such things--I do not begrudge them for supporting a woman for president (though I would appreciate some acknowledgment that this symbolism is not the only women's issue out there), but I don't really think it's helpful to say that declaring that not voting for Hillary means you're sexist. I don't think it's helpful to reopen old wounds and turn this contest into Hillary vs. the mean old men on the teevee. Clearly, there's been some sexism there, but I have yet to be convinced that this factor is dispositive. And Clinton herself has run a divisive, Nixonian silent majority-style campaign in the Democratic primary, with no shortage of divisiveness along the way. But we can't talk about that.

Still, the victimhood and self-pity among some of Clinton's supporters is staggering. Dahlia Lithwick has an excellent piece on why this campaign isn't the end of the idea of a woman president. Personally, I think Kathleen Sebelius is a very promising prospect, and I think she'd make a worthwhile addition to Obama's ticket. I do worry about the consequences of placing two relative unknowns on the same ticket, and someone like Biden might reassure some voters. Then again, Sebelius does reinforce Obama's core message. Change and post-partisanship are, well, not bad assets to hold. And, plus, it puts a woman as the designated successor, so women who are heartbroken now will know that a woman will have another shot in eight years.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.