Monday, May 26, 2008

VP Hagel is a bad idea

Isn't it? It's too clever by half. Hagel and Obama don't agree on too much aside from the war (and possibly immigration) so what exactly is Hagel going to stump for Obama on...aside from the war? And the war is a good issue, I think, but putting all the eggs in one basket is not a good idea. I suspect that the economy will also be a good issue, for example. Hagel can't back up Obama on that.

I actually think that Obama/Hagel is a worse idea than McCain/Lieberman for several reasons: first, Lieberman is a well-known public figure and a celebrity and Hagel isn't. Second, Lieberman has cultivated a moderate image and had plenty of stances that the right liked even before he began his metamorphosis into a pro-choice version of Bush/McCain. Hagel is ultraconservative. Lieberman agreeing to be on a ticket headed by a Republican would strike a huge blow against the Democrats, since most folks still think Lieberman is a moderate. Hardly anyone knows who Chuck Hagel actually is. Now, Hagel endorsing Obama and stumping for him would certainly be helpful--maybe he'd be able to help Obama's odds in Nebraska, for example--but I think he adds in a whole host of new variables (like abortion rights) that are easily avoidable with another running mate, while there is really no proof that he'll bring tons of new Republicans into Obama's camp.

So, this is a pretty bad idea from where I sit.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.