Sunday, May 4, 2008

Out leapt the tiger...

Yeah, Clinton is destroying her cred among the well-informed among us with her stupid gas tax holiday idea. Unfortunately, Obama dominates high-information voters already, so this episode isn't exactly likely to turn the tide against her. I, for one, am not particularly surprised that Clinton's campaign has descended into outright demagogery--it's essentially a combination of the gas tax idiocy, Annie Oakley idiocy, and revisionist NAFTA history idiocy. What does surprise me is that it's taken so long for the progressive community to realize that, behind all the admittedly impressive policy proposals, this woman is fundamentally an unserious person who will do or say anything, regardless of how ridiculous it may be, to gain power. Then again, a cursory look at, say, her history of positions with respect to the Iraq War ought to be enough to convince one of this fact: at every stage she has hewed closely to the conventional wisdom on Iraq. Right now the public is moving a bit to the left on healthcare, but does anyone really expect her to continue to push this in the event that the public reconsiders?

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.