Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Indispensable

I must confess I don't really understand the thinking behind this new "indispensability" theory. So, Clinton wins in Kentucky and West Virginia are supposed to prove that she is indispensable...how? An electoral scenario (on Obama's part) which requires Democratic wins in KY and WV is probably ill-conceived. Putting Clinton on the ticket isn't going to move these states into the Dem column, so what point is she trying to make? Is she trying to go out on a high note?

I'm trying to think of an established Democratic leader who would be able to hold on to these working class voters. I doubt women will really bolt to McCain--mentioning "McCain Judges" ought to do the trick. Some old folks might bolt--especially the ones with race issues--but most ought to stay once they get a load of McCain's ideas about entitlements. Low-information voters worry me to some degree, but there's got to be an established Dem who can get them back on board. Under different circumstances Jim Webb might be such a person, but he's pretty new as well, and doesn't have much of a base. If there isn't anyone who can appeal to Clinton voters aside from Clinton--and reassuring them about Obama would be of paramount importance--then maybe it does make sense to put her on the ticket.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.